Sunday, September 4, 2011

Online Dating...

Ok - so once I moved here, I joined a few online dating sites for my own entertainment, not really expecting anything to come of it....the 2 sites I joined were match and blackpeoplemeet...now, blackpeoplemeet is on some straight foolery and match is getting just as bad...I'm really not sure these sites are truly made for my kind, but I digress...I did meet one gentleman...we'll call him Cletus (LOL)...his stats: designer at an architectural firm, one kid, 6 foot somethin, college-educated...we started on our "journey" by phone conversations and skype, he lives about 90mins away...

So things started off decently....he had, what I thought was a fun and interesting idea...it was to send one another a  gift, $10 or less that was either a reflection of self or how you perceived the other person...I was like, hmmm, ok, I like this, it's fun, refreshing, etc...did I get a gift...that would be a negative and I sent mine, but he'd given me the wrong zip code...some may see it as an honest mistake, I say, divine intervention...LOL...so we continue talking and he just asked inappropriate questions like, how much money I made (really fool), he would disappear for days at a time and then call like we'd  just talked recently...LOL...so after talking for maybe a month, it dawned on me that we hadn't met in person...so I bring it up and he says, "oh, that's not a priority right now"...huh?!..you don't want to physically meet someone that you're in constant communication with...oh and I forgot to mention, that he'd call late at night and would be at his parent's house...I found that odd, but anyway...so yea, after he decided he wanted to be phone buddies, I decided that I no longer knew how to answer my phone...what a waste of time...but I will say, I was entertained for a month! :-)

What are your thoughts on online dating?? A waste of time and/or money? Any success stories? Don't be shamed, I know you've done it! :-)

4 comments:

  1. You have to be prepared that with online dating you will meet successful people who are using the site as a tool to meet new people while dealing with a limited schedule as well as the people that are using it because they have been unsuccessful with dating due to the fact that they lack social skills. Tread carefully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Online dating just screams "a bunch of weirdos" to me. But hey, I am old fashioned. Play on players. I also feel that young professionals have a hard time finding a mate these days because they are too full of themselves, both males and females. You all have more stipulations on finding a mate than the publishers clearing house has in fine print for winning a million dollars. Finding love is easy, if you get out of your own way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for your thoughts....Anonymous #2 - what types of stipulations are you referring to as being unreasonable? Not that I don't agree, just curious to know specifically what you're referring to....not sure if you are a new reader or not, if so, I wrote on Settling vs Deciding a while back, you should take a gander!

    Thanks for reading and commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am an old reader. I have read all the post. I think some don't want to decide because they feel they are settling and will miss "the one." I have an older friend who is now 41 and has missed out on several quality women because he is looking for a damn centerfold model. Now some of these whack jobs you write about in your blog have way too much baggage and issues. But when I say young professionals can't find a mate because they are too full of themselves I am talking about things such as individuals dismissing potential quality mates because of minor physical attributes, they get bored easily with people, they have to have a team of suitors, they can't leave their ex in the past, etc. And then complain about they can't find nobody. Generally, they are in their own way.

    ReplyDelete